PATHFINDERS TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Below is an outline of the Terms and Conditions of your booking and stay with us, as well as some basic guidelines to consider when preparing for, and during your time on your placement so that you can get the most out of your placement. This also ensures your safety and that of others involved in your placement with you. On any Pathfinders placement, we ask you to consider the aims and objectives of the industry that you have chosen to be part of and to make every effort to support other trainees and our Pathfinders staff and coordinators.
- General Rules and Guidelines
Because we want Pathfinders to grow and flourish along with the African countries and communities in which we work, it is important that you follow these rules and guidelines.
- a) We ask that you do not carry, or use any illicit substances or non-prescription drugs for the duration of your stay in your host country.
- b) We ask that you do not bring yourself or Pathfinders into disrepute nor involve any other employee or trainee in any behaviour that might amount to disrepute. If your behaviour is found to be detrimental to the programme that you are involved with, you may be asked to leave immediately without compensation (please see our refund policy contained in Clause 5 under Booking Conditions, further along in this document).
- c) Please, at all times, remain presentable and well dressed. We expect you to behave with a level of courtesy consistent with the situation and, of course, the local customs.
- d) If you would like to make changes to your placement schedule or any other arrangement please do not do so until you have consulted directly with the Pathfinders Head Office Team, and received written confirmation of your changes.
- e) We ask you to be considerate of fellow trainees and co-ordinators by being punctual for your activities and duties to the best of your ability.
- f) All of our participants will be required to complete a written application questionnaire for assessment by Pathfinders prior to being accepted on to the programme. Pathfinders
reservesthe right to accept or reject applications based on their assessment of this questionnaire. Applicants are advised not to pay the non-refundable 20% deposit before receiving confirmation of acceptance to the programme. Should an applicant pay the deposit beforehand, and not be accepted on to the programme, they will receive no refund on their deposit.
- g) All of our participants are required to submit a Criminal Record Check prior to arrival and commencement of placement, which is an absolute and mandatory requirement, without exception. Please keep this in mind and be sure to apply for your Criminal Record Check in good time. In the event you are unable to provide a Criminal Record Check, or proof of submission thereof prior to joining us, you will be unable to begin your scheduled placement until we have received a Criminal Record Check or proof of application thereof.
- h) Please do not take days off unless you have given prior notice and it has been agreed by your project
co-ordinator. This does not apply in the event of illness.
- i) If your behaviour, words or actions are thought to be disruptive by Pathfinders staff or if you are thought to be a bad influence on others then after one warning, either verbal or written, you may be removed from the programme without compensation.
- j) At most training locations, your rooms will be cleaned by the staff. Please treat them with courtesy and keep your room tidy. Respect your accommodation and show consideration for others.
- k) The accommodation is for your use only. No one else, including any visitors, may have the use of it while you are on your placement.
- l) The Participant acknowledges and agrees that Pathfinders reserves the right to any photos and videos provided to them or taken by Pathfinders
Staff, during or after the course of the programme, for promotional purposes.
- Hours of work
You will need to show reasonable flexibility. You will have time off during the week and during each day but some days may require longer hours when necessary.
- Booking Conditions
- a) Please note that each booking carries a non-refundable administration fee, payable as a deposit payment, of 20% of your programme fee. The deposit payment must be made within 5 days of confirming your booking, in order to secure your placement.
- b) Please note that once your deposit has been paid, we cannot change the currency. Your balance will have to be settled in the original currency invoiced.
- c) If you do not pay your full fee 60 days prior to the commencement of your placement, without making prior arrangements with us, we reserve the right to cancel your booking. If you book less than 60 days prior to the commencement of your placement, you will be asked to make full payment immediately to secure your booking.
- d) In the highly unlikely event of us having to cancel your placement for reasons other than:
- a) The fault of the client, b) Force majeure we will refund you the full amount paid, less the 20% non-refundable deposit.
Please note that we will not be liable to refund you for any incidental expenses that you may have incurred as a result of your booking, such as visas, vaccinations, non-refundable connecting flights, etc.
Pathfinders cannot offer refunds or compensation in the event of cancellation or amendments as a result of force majeure. For the purpose of these conditions, force majeure is defined as, but not limited to war,
- e) Any information or advice provided by Pathfinders on matters such as permits, visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, etc. is given in good faith, but without responsibility on the part of Pathfinders, and the participant accepts responsibility for obtaining any necessary visas and travel documents required for your placement.
- f) Disclosure of important information – Pathfinders and its staff reserve the right to terminate your placement, without recourse, if it comes to light that you failed to provide or provided inaccurate/incomplete booking information, particularly with reference to medical conditions and current medication. Pathfinders reserve the right to reject applicants who require special medical care following due consideration or
to g) Insurance – Before you travel to your placement you must be covered by insurance, which must include adequate cover for baggage, medical expenses and the cost of repatriation. Should you not have adequate cover prior to the commencement of your placement you may not be allowed to continue on the programme and will have no right to a refund.
Any claims concerning matters for which you are insured must be directed to your insurers. It is often the case that Pathfinders will put forward the costs of medical expenses in an emergency situation. You will be required upon arrival to sign an agreement that Pathfinders has a right to claim from your medical insurance for any expenses that we may incur on your behalf.
The Participant agrees to take personal responsibility for ensuring the Participant’s own personal effects and Pathfinders cannot be held liable for any loss or damage to personal effects.
- h) The booking is accepted on the understanding that certain risks may arise in the course of the programme, including, but not limited to, hazards of travelling in remote areas; travel by automobile, van, bus, aeroplane, boat, train or any other means of conveyance; the forces of nature; civil disturbances; national or international conflicts; terrorism; arbitrary itinerary changes made by foreign governments or vendors; dive related accidents, boat accidents; interacting with dangerous wildlife; personal injury or illness from the local environment; accident or illness in remote locations without immediate evacuation or medical facilities; or negligent acts of third parties. The Participant hereby asserts that he/she knows, understands and appreciates these and other risks inherent in the Programme and asserts that his/her participation is completely voluntary and assumes all risk associated with the Programme and will not hold Pathfinders or its agents and employees responsible, but indemnifies them for any and all claims, actions, suits, procedures, costs, expenses, damages and liabilities, including attorney’s fees, which may arise in connection with the Participant’s participation in this Program, any activities arranged by or for the Participant by Pathfinders, its agents or employees, emergency medical care if considered essential by the most qualified in-situ personnel. The Participant further expressly agrees that the foregoing waiver and assumption of risks
isintended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by applicable law and that if any portion thereof is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect. The terms of this agreement shall further extend to the Participant’s heirs, personal representatives, successors and assigns.
- i) The booking is further accepted on the understanding that Pathfinders in no way guarantees participants an FGASA or any other qualification as a result of attending the course. Course leaders undertake to prepare participants to the best of their ability, but it remains the sole responsibility of the participant to ensure that they study and practice their skills and modules sufficiently to prepare themselves for the relevant evaluations and examinations. Should participants fail to qualify, it will not be the responsibility of Pathfinders, but the sole responsibility of the participant to make the necessary arrangements to retake the required examinations and evaluations.
- j) Cancellation policy – at no time does any refund include travel or extraneous expenses as part of your trip plan:
- If you cancel your placement up to 91 days before the start of your placement, we will refund 100% of the cost of the programme, excluding the 20% deposit administration fee.
- If you cancel your placement between 61 – 90 days before your start date we will return to you 75% of the cost of the programme excluding the 20% deposit administration fee.
- If you cancel between 31 – 60 days from your start date we will return to you 50% of your original payment excluding the 20% deposit administration fee.
- If you cancel within 30 days of your start date, we cannot return any payments to you and you will forfeit your fees already paid. Please check when you arrange travel insurance that a cancellation clause is part of the policy.
- k) Cost changes outside the control of Pathfinders – Pathfinders reserves the right to pass on costs outside of their, or their affiliated partners’ control (e.g. park fee increases, changes in local applicable taxes, for example, value-added-tax). However, Pathfinders commits to absorb increased costs up to a total amount equivalent to 2 per cent of the cost for existing bookings only. If the increased costs exceed this 2 per cent Pathfinders may levy a surcharge.
If you are booking your own flights you might like to consider booking a changeable/flexible return ticket. If any circumstances arise which lead to you needing to leave the project at a date different to your original booking and additional costs are incurred because you have purchased a non-changeable ticket, you will be solely responsible for these additional costs.
- Refund policy once on your placement a
- ) If your placement is terminated by Pathfinders at any point during said placement, because of an infringement of the Code of Conduct, there will be no refund for the entirety of your stay.
- b) Any termination by Pathfinders due to an infringement of The Code of Conduct will be deemed a termination by Pathfinders as an organisation, applicable to any and all of our programmes and as such should you be booked on more than one Pathfinders programme, your placement at all will be terminated.
- c) If you terminate your placement at any time during your placement, for any reason whatsoever, you will not be entitled to claim any refund.
- d) You will not be entitled to claim any other expenses applicable to your placement, and any costs relating to change of tickets, etc. will be for your account.
- e) Should you overpay Pathfinders in error when paying your placement fee, or at any time, Pathfinders will refund you for the overpayment, less a 10% administration fee plus all bank charges incurred. Pathfinders reserves the right to refund such excess funds only in the event that said monies exceed an amount of GB£ 30 | US$ 50 | EU€ 40 | AU$ 50 | ZAR 300 and at our sole discretion, in consideration of associated international administrative and banking fees. Further, no refund is applicable or possible in the case of Criminal Record Check facilitation fees whatsoever, given that these monies are disbursed to third parties from whom a refund is not applicable.
- f) Should you fail to attain your FGASA qualification, Pathfinders will not be held responsible, and you will not be entitled to any refunds.
- Transfers between project dates
- a) Should you wish to amend your placement to another date you will be required to provide 3 months written notice and such change shall be subject to availability.
We look forward to welcoming you to Africa soon!